Imgur Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imgur Pacman

+4
Kofthefens
Bobrocket
rcmaehl
konman96
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Imgur Pacman - Page 2 Empty Re: Imgur Pacman

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:25 am

Hey guys! A user named Draps posted this: https://imgur.com/gallery/HdEEdJD which is basically a version of the game. I fear it has become a race for whoever makes it first gets to post it first.

Anyway I think if we want it to be any good we have to actually make it worth playing.

Also since some of you guys signed up here with other usernames than your imgur ones, I'm having a hard time seeing who is who. So in your next post could you tell me your imgur username?

@johnjoemcbob
here are some notes:
1. I think it would be best if Tard appeared from the first level. People want to see him, right off the bat...
2. We need to find something that will kill Tard so you can use the "surprised" sprite also. I was thinking something that symbolizes hapiness? Maybe I could design something like a rainbow? or a rainbow banana?
3. think of adding a pause button
4. the gap on the sides of the walls doesn't work.
5. if you lose to a ghost the screen should have a different message..

I know you probably already know all this stuff, and you haven't got to it yet.. I hope you realize how much I appreciate all the work you have done (and this goes for everybody) and by no means am I trying to criticize what you've done. I'm just trying to help in any way I can, and since I can't program I can be a tester!!! Very Happy

After writing these I thought I'd make some new ghosts. Maybe a stormtrooper ghost, a tardis ghost. hmmm what do you guys think?
We can really be creative here and make an Imgur game that is awesome beyond belief...

konman96
Admin

https://imgurgames.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobrocket Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

do you want me to go ahead with my version?
it seems you already have a couple of versions; i'll make mine if necessary (been working on music so far!)

Bobrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 am

Bobrocket wrote:do you want me to go ahead with my version?
it seems you already have a couple of versions; i'll make mine if necessary (been working on music so far!)

Go for it!!!!!!

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Made some designs for ghosts if anyone is interested:
Stormtrooper:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 WY4CSE2

Stormtrooper scared:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 8kxpSpN

Voldemort:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 E8VRQ5L

Voldemort scared:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 GAB3GR3

Sith:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 RfHhQBq

Sith scared:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 NqfcQ0r

any comments, or ideas are welcome...

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Also here's a rainbow banana!

Imgur Pacman - Page 2 RGAjhz3

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:53 pm

konman96 wrote:
Also since some of you guys signed up here with other usernames than your imgur ones, I'm having a hard time seeing who is who. So in your next post could you tell me your imgur username?

@johnjoemcbob
here are some notes:
1. I think it would be best if Tard appeared from the first level. People want to see him, right off the bat...
2. We need to find something that will kill Tard so you can use the "surprised" sprite also. I was thinking something that symbolizes hapiness? Maybe I could design something like a rainbow? or a rainbow banana?
3. think of adding a pause button
4. the gap on the sides of the walls doesn't work.
5. if you lose to a ghost the screen should have a different message..

I know you probably already know all this stuff, and you haven't got to it yet.. I hope you realize how much I appreciate all the work you have done (and this goes for everybody) and by no means am I trying to criticize what you've done. I'm just trying to help in any way I can, and since I can't program I can be a tester!!! Very Happy

I don't actually have an account on imgur, which is why you can't find me, haha sorry

1. I was thinking maybe have some small amount of plot to the game;
- Tard as the final boss
- Appears in the first level to declare her hatred of you and send the ghosts after you etc
- Each of these new once you've designed could be the other bosses in the game
2. Thinking for this as a follow on from 1, the rainbow banana could act as a stun for Tard as the player collects points, but she can't actually be eaten.
3. Pause added to the escape button, kept it pretty simple so it just pauses and displays a message rather than switching to some sort of menu
4. Aye, I hadn't added it properly in this version but it should be there now Smile
5. Added three different lose messages, one for ghost, one for Tard, and one for Tard when downvoting is active

Loving the new graphics

Let me know what you think

Also F6 toggles the music
http://rapidshare.com/files/4060660776/pacman_0.2.zip

Last edited by johnjoemcbob on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : DOWNLOAD LINK YAY)

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:00 pm

No worries about the imgur account...

Your ideas are awesome!! I like that you kept it simple, my favorite kind of design after all, is minimal! I like the not killing him twist. Maybe I need to make special pills for the others if we make them bosses... I guess THEY can/could be killed..? hmm maybe a light-saber for the star wars guys and a wand for Voldemort? I'm open to ideas since I feel I'm running out..

If you want me to make some more colors for the simple ghosts let me know..

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:31 pm

I played the 0.2 version. I think it's coming along great...

Possible things to keep in mind for the future:
- an intro screen explaining the controls
- a highscores table? and a permanent highscore on the screen somewhere
- eating a ghost would add to the score? like pacman, you know 200, 400 etc.
- you've already said you want to change the ghost ai, i'm just repeating it here.
- maximizing the window so you can have a bigger screen size maybe?

Again, let me just say I have no idea how hard these things are for you. So feel free to disregard whatever you think you should.

also I'm reading your "aye" in scrooge mcduck's voice. Dunno why!!! Are you Scottish by any chance?

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:35 pm

Think I've added all the points except the highscore, not sure if the AI is actually working properly but give it a shot and see what you think Smile

Aye, I'm Scottish
And I'm pretty happy with being McDuck! Haha

Here you are Smile
http://rapidshare.com/files/1662933280/pacman_0.3.zip

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 am

ok, so I played for a while! I like that it's not easy mind you... I couldn't beat Level 5 with Tard. I didn't even see if a special pill comes out, the banana? Maybe I died too fast I'm not sure..

I pressed f1 while in the intro menu and it tried to go to full screen. then my screen went black and my pc froze. nothing worked. alt+ctrl+delete, ctrl+esc, alt+tab. nothing. I had to do a hard reset from the reset button..

the ai seems a bit better. Tard definitely chases you when he sees you. the ghosts are random still but it looks pretty good in my opinion... I googled pacman Love2d and found some games, maybe you could study those for the ai (if it's better than your's that is which I'm betting it's not)

Gameplay ideas:
- I don't think if you lose you should go back a level. Maybe give the player 2 to 3 tries before bumping him back..
- to give the game a twist we could enter a boss on each level from 2 to I don't know 10? and explain how the special power up kills the boss. That way the player has something to look forward to, in this case seeing a new boss every level - this way we differentiate from original pacman and keep it interesting and intriguing.. what do you think? I could design more villains and we could make the last level a bonus insane level with all the bosses and they only die with their special power up except for Tard who is only stunned..
-by the way I love the Tard "MIAOUW" sound effect. And speaking of sound effects maybe a faster theme while on the power up or a sound effect for eating one. also a sound effect for eating the ghosts..
-lot's of crazy ideas pop into my head sometimes. another idea I had was that a rainbow banana spawns nyan cat that is your ally and runs around killing ghosts!

I think you're doing a great job! let me know what you think about my notes..

Is anyone else viewing these posts? Any other development guys? Anybody have any ideas on this version??? My dear uncle Scrooge, I think we are all alone.. I was looking to put a smilie here but I noticed they have Imgur ones!!! A cat and an upvote!!! cat alien

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Draps Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:53 am

Hey Guys!

So I managed to get some more free time during today's lunch break.

https://i.imgur.com/fo6OPth.png

I added a leveling system where your reputation goes up and to make your way to glorious!
While leveling up you can increase your speed, add one to your lives, or upgrade your score multiplier.

There is death screens for normal ghosts and one for tard. (However the tard one only shows if you lose your last life to tard.)

You can mute music with M or all sounds with K

The game gets harder over time and I added a few extra levels. After the game gets harder by adding up to 3 extra ghosts, the game starts to speed up!

Hope you guys like it!
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0wcinpoc2w1czhp

Music:
https://soundcloud.com/draps1337/imgur-pacman-theme

Draps

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Looks good Draps! I like the reputation and level up ideas, pretty awesome! The gamemaker thing at start up is quite ugly, but I suppose you can't disable that
Also I like the music, do you mind if I try it out in my version?

konman96 wrote:ok, so I played for a while! I like that it's not easy mind you... I couldn't beat Level 5 with Tard. I didn't even see if a special pill comes out, the banana? Maybe I died too fast I'm not sure..

I pressed f1 while in the intro menu and it tried to go to full screen. then my screen went black and my pc froze. nothing worked. alt+ctrl+delete, ctrl+esc, alt+tab. nothing. I had to do a hard reset from the reset button..

the ai seems a bit better. Tard definitely chases you when he sees you. the ghosts are random still but it looks pretty good in my opinion... I googled pacman Love2d and found some games, maybe you could study those for the ai (if it's better than your's that is which I'm betting it's not)

Gameplay ideas:
- I don't think if you lose you should go back a level. Maybe give the player 2 to 3 tries before bumping him back..
- to give the game a twist we could enter a boss on each level from 2 to I don't know 10? and explain how the special power up kills the boss. That way the player has something to look forward to, in this case seeing a new boss every level - this way we differentiate from original pacman and keep it interesting and intriguing.. what do you think? I could design more villains and we could make the last level a bonus insane level with all the bosses and they only die with their special power up except for Tard who is only stunned..
-by the way I love the Tard "MIAOUW" sound effect. And speaking of sound effects maybe a faster theme while on the power up or a sound effect for eating one. also a sound effect for eating the ghosts..
-lot's of crazy ideas pop into my head sometimes. another idea I had was that a rainbow banana spawns nyan cat that is your ally and runs around killing ghosts!

I think you're doing a great job! let me know what you think about my notes..

Is anyone else viewing these posts? Any other development guys? Anybody have any ideas on this version??? My dear uncle Scrooge, I think we are all alone.. I was looking to put a smilie here but I noticed they have Imgur ones!!! A cat and an upvote!!! cat alien

Haha, loving the emotes!
I haven't added the special pills yet, I'll let you know once I have Smile

Also the ghosts each have their own behaviour for chasing the player, but every so often they all 'scatter' to make the game a little easier, you should see that sometimes they all disperse to corners of the grid Smile
In that version I just realised it gets stuck in scatter so they actually stop chasing you haha, this should be fixed now

The fullscreen bug is weird, I don't get it myself and the way it's written it shouldn't attempt to go fullscreen while on the intro screen, but try this version and see if it still crashes please

Now the game doesn't go backwards when you lose, but it still gets harder as you win Smile Of course this is just temporary until we get the proper levels in Very Happy

Aye, I like the boss idea, with a different boss for each level, each with its own weakness and design

I really like the Nyan cat idea! It made me think maybe when you get the rainbow banana on Tard's level, Nyan cat either defeats Tard, or convinces Tard to become good? Seeing as they're both cats haha

I also took the music out completely for now
http://rapidshare.com/files/1638615554/pacman_0.3.5.zip

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by youcannotignorethemoon Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Love the nyan cat idea.

I'm still working on my JavaScript version. Should have something playable by this evening (UK time).

Unfortunately I'm on a mac, so I haven't tried any one else's version yet but the screenshots all look mighty! Nice work everyone!

youcannotignorethemoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Draps Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:36 pm

johnjoemcbob wrote:Also I like the music, do you mind if I try it out in my version?

Go for it!, It's a free download on soundcloud(though its in mp3), let me know if you want an ogg or something. I can give you all the other sounds too they are in wav's.

Cant get rid of the game maker start up unless I buy the registered version. Finding a rego key is near impossible for GM7 these days.

Draps

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:55 am

Sorry for not replying in a while guys.. Had some work at the office!

I will be designing nyan cat, and new bosses soon..

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Cheers! Sounding pretty good so far Smile

That's no bother, I had a math test myself but I've been working away today and I have some new features for you

Check it out Smile
http://rapidshare.com/files/3355672444/pacman_0.4.zip

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 am

Ok so I figured out the full screen bug. It was my fucking firewall messing up my system. When I turn it off everything works fine!

Love the new menus and high scores table!
Let me just report what I noticed as usual:

1. Once you press submit score and you start typing your name then your score is stored without a space between your score and the word Name. (example: Namekonman96 142)
2. once you type your name my intuition was to press enter for the score to be stored. you need to mouse click it.

3. I noticed you changed the AI a bit. It seemed way harder in my opinion! Very Happy The ghosts will chase you everywhere..
4. When you eat a downvote you may be able to eat them now, but they do not run away from you, they just continue on their paths.

I only managed to beat level 1 once. Level 1 needs to be way easier in my opinion...

That's about all I have for you as far as comments..

I did however design some stuff:

Nyan cat:

frame 1 of animation (for the trail and tail to move) - (when I previewed this post the nyan cat is trimmed by the forum. if you right click and save the image you will get the whole thing though):
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 AFNdHAs

frame 2:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 JD7JIiv

Scar:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 0ht97dp

Scar spooked:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 LbySWTf

Bane:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 Iuj4jBd

Bane startled:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 A7AFJgA

Hannibal Lecter:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 Fobbun4

Hannibal Lecter bamboozled:
Imgur Pacman - Page 2 IHNUP3W

Let me know if guys have any villain ideas, I'm running low..

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 pm

These are awesome! You're an amazing artist

1. Aye, you can use backspace to remove the "Name" bit, I was worried people wouldn't understand what the bar was for but I'll get rid of it and see if that helps some

2. I had this planned but I forgot to put it in that version, I added like right after I uploaded it, so it'll be in the next version Smile

3/4. I'll try to make it a bit easier, aye
We also need to think about what special power ups the bosses will have to make them harder, like speed boosts, less downvote time, etc

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 pm

How about a Joker ghost? Very Happy

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm

johnjoemcbob wrote:How about a Joker ghost? Very Happy

yeah i thought of that. it was kind of a viral pic on imgur with the caption "it's simple. we kill the pacman" that's why I went with bane.

I'm also going to try and make sauron..

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Oh! Another idea for the story mode (I'm thinking have the option for 'classic' or 'story')

Each boss could have a captive (e.g. Scar would have Simba), and when you defeat the boss the captive joins your cause

Thoughts?

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:07 pm

great idea to give the option for story or arcade!!!

also the captive idea is awesome... but should i make the allies pacman shaped? or ghost shaped?

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 pm

I really have no idea haha, just whatever you think really I'm just typing up ideas as they come

Right I've tried to make it easier now, and also added some new 'bosses' which will join once you get past a level, they each have their own message when the player loses to them

Also tried a bit of a story board thing, not sure about it though it doesn't feel right at the moment haha, give me your thoughts on that too please

Other than that just fixes and stuff Very Happy
http://rapidshare.com/files/3957544677/pacman_0.5.zip

Edit:
Oh! Just remembered I updated the images to the high quality ones you uploaded, so they should look nicer now Smile

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by johnjoemcbob Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 am

Also have you seen this?
https://imgur.com/gallery/NVZX3JX

johnjoemcbob

Back to top Go down

Post by konman96 Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:08 am

ah! I just saw it like 10 minutes ago! let me msg the OP and see if we can use it..

konman96
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum